You are hereLA Times: Families of dead miners feel let down by Washington

LA Times: Families of dead miners feel let down by Washington

A year after 29 coal miners were killed in West Virginia, a safety bill has failed and a backlog of safety cases has grown.

May 8, 2011- Reporting from Montcoal, W.Va.— As he delivered a eulogy last year for 29 men killed in the worst coal mine disaster in four decades, President Obama bowed his head and repeated a plea he had heard from mining families: "Don't let this happen again."

Looking at the audience that filled the Beckley, W.Va., convention center hall, he asked: "How can we fail them?"

A year later, many family members say that Washington has failed them, and some of the president's closest congressional allies agree.

While there have been improvements, many of the glaring problems revealed by the explosion at the Upper Big Branch mine remain unaddressed.

At the top of the list: a regulatory system that allowed mine operators cited for repeated safety violations to keep operating while they pursued appeals that can drag on for a year or more. At the time of the explosion in April 2010, the appeals system had a backlog of 16,000 cases. Today, the backlog has grown to more than 19,000 appeals.

"We've been messing around for a year," said Rep .George Miller (D-Martinez), who introduced a bill last summer that would have dealt with the backlog and other issues brought to light by the deadly explosion. "The sad thing is that nothing will happen until the next major disaster."

Miller's proposal included provisions that miners and their families had requested repeatedly: protection for whistle-blowers and greater liability for corporate officers who knowingly put workers at risk.

But the bill was defeated in the House last year as an anti-government mood swept the country and an industry lobbying campaign targeted swing-district members. Campaign contributions from the industry spiked shortly after the explosion and rose steadily through the rest of the year.

At first, Miller thought a broad-scale approach would succeed. Public sympathy for miners was high after the explosion, and passions were inflamed by reports that the mine owner, Massey Energy Co., had one of the nation's worst records for safety violations — and a routine practice of contesting them.

Current law allows mines to delay elevated sanctions by appealing citations that could be used as a basis for shutting down mines.

Safety violations at the Upper Big Branch mine spiked in 2009. Federal regulators ordered miners out of portions of the mine for repeated serious violations at nearly 19 times the national rate.

"Why wasn't it made to shut down?" asked Gary Quarles, a miner who formerly worked in the Upper Big Branch mine and whose son Gary Wayne Quarles died in the accident.

Ten days after the explosion, Obama told federal officials that action was necessary to "tackle the backlog of cases" that allowed some companies "to evade their responsibilities" for safety by taking advantage of delays.

Officials of the Mine Safety and Health Administration said Upper Big Branch should have been flagged for shutdown well before the explosion. A preliminary report on the explosion suggests that a serious safety violation — failure to deal with combustible coal dust — may have contributed to the deadly blast.

Massey did not accept those findings. M. Shane Harvey, Massey's general counsel, said safety had been a company priority.



Backbone Campaign
Liberty Tree
Progressive Democrats of America
Peoples Email Network
Justice Through Music
Locust Fork Journal
Berkeley Fellowship UU\'s Social Justice Committee
The Smirking Chimp
Progressive Democrats Sonoma County
Center for Media and Democracy
Chelsea Neighbors United
Atlanta Progressive News
Yes Men
No Nukes North